How to create an online html help system (webhelp) with chm2web help authoring software?
Chm2web is a powerful online help authoring solution.
You can use it to quickly and easily create an online help system (for instance,
like this one) with the
table of contents, the index and a full-text search that your customers
will be able to view in any web browser.
It is very easy to create an online help system (webhelp) with chm2web help authoring software:
- Create the pages of your help system, its table of contents
and index in any HTML Help authoring tool. The free Microsoft tool
Microsoft HTML Help Workshop will do quite well. You can also use
commercial tools. Virtually any of them allows you to create a chm file
that you need for chm2web to work.
- Open the chm file created in step 1 in chm2web, select the appearance
of your online help system from the template library, configure the
parameters of your help system and click the "Build" button.
- That's all! Your online help system is ready. You can upload files
created by chm2web to your web server and your visitors will be able
to work with your documentation right in their web browsers.
Features of web help created with chm2web
- Customizable. The design of the web help is completely
customizable: you can use existing templates, edit them or create
your own templates. Anyone who knows html can create a new template
- Powerful. It has a tree-like table of contents, an index
and a full-text search. It is also possible to create a static
version without any scripts that is perfectly indexed by search spiders.
- Crossplatform. It is possible to open the help system both from a web
server and directly from the customer's disk. Besides, it does not matter
what operating system is installed on the user's computer. It will work
under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
- Context help. You can open any page in the help system using a direct
link to it.
So, chm2web is a powerful and flexible help authoring solution not only
for converting already existing documentation into the convenient format
of online help, but also for creating documentation from scratch.